- Q: What is Thrivent Builds Worldwide?
- A: Thrivent Builds Worldwide is one program of Thrivent Builds – a multi-year, multi-million dollar partnership that brings members of Thrivent Financial together with congregations, other volunteers, Habitat affiliates and host communities to build simple, decent, affordable homes with families in need.
- Q: What type of trips does Thrivent Builds Worldwide offer?
- A: Thrivent Builds Worldwide offers international and domestic short term trips that are organized by communities, congregations, organizations and Thrivent members. Teams are led by Thrivent Financial benefit members.
- Q: Who can participate in Thrivent Builds Worldwide?
- A: Thrivent Financial members, congregations and other volunteers may participate. Both members and nonmembers may participate.
- Q: How long do Thrivent Builds Worldwide trips last, and how much do they cost?
- A: Thrivent Builds Worldwide trips last one to two weeks. The cost depends on where you travel and how long you stay. Most trips average $100-$200 a day and include room and board, in-country transportation and traveler's medical insurance. Airfare is additional, as is cancellation protection and baggage insurance.
- Q: How are the locations for Thrivent Builds Worldwide trips selected?
- A: Thrivent Builds Worldwide trips only travel to host affiliates that meet Habitat for Humanity International's Global Village program standards, focusing on areas where help is needed and where Thrivent Financial can significantly impact building capacity for a Habitat for Humanity host affiliate.
- Q: How do I pay for a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip?
- A: You can pay for expenses, or you or your group can organize fundraising events, such as bake sales, car washes, walks and bike rides. In addition, each Thrivent Financial benefit member age 16 or older is eligible for a discounted trip cost.
If you are unsure of your eligibility, you can verify your status.
- Q: What other financial support does Thrivent Financial offer?
- A: Thrivent Financial will give a significant donation to the Habitat for Humanity host affiliate for a future homebuilding project in the same area in which a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip takes place. The funds will help Habitat for Humanity affiliates build additional homes in their communities.
Thrivent Financial will pay half the Habitat for Humanity Global Village in-person team leader training registration fee for Thrivent Financial members. Cost typically range from $75 to $200 per person and do not include transportation or accommodations.
- Q: Are matching funds available to pay trip costs?
- A: Thrivent Builds trip participants
Fees required to participate in a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip may be eligible for matching funds, and employer matching gifts could be designated to your trip. Visit Habitat.org to find your company's matching gift guidelines and program contact. Also refer to the Matching Gifts sections of Habitat's Global Village payment policy.
Employees or financial representatives of Thrivent Financial
- Fees required to participate in a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip are not eligible for matching funds for yourself or another participant using the Gift Multiplier program (see Gifts Not Eligible section below).
- For donations above any participant's trip fees, you may request matching funds using the Gift Multiplier program. Enter the GVT event code and trip destination in the "Purpose of Gift" field within the online form. The matching funds will benefit the Habitat host affiliate, not the individual trip participant.
- Thrivent Financial Gift Multiplier Program - Gifts Not Eligible
- Gifts for which you or any nominee of yours will receive anything of value in return. This includes fees you are required to pay to participate in a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip, since the trip is something of value to you.
- Gifts for which the Foundation's matching contribution will be used to discharge any obligation that you or any other person might have. This includes fees you are required to pay to participate in a Thrivent Builds Worldwide trip.
- Q: Is there an age limit for participants?
- A: Participants under age 18 may only participate if their participation has been approved by the team leader and host affiliate, and if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. The minimum age for participation on a team is 16 years, or older if required by the hosting program or child labor laws. Thrivent Builds Worldwide will not sponsor any youth-group teams.
- Q: Do I need homebuilding experience or the ability to speak another language?
- A: No, you don't need homebuilding experience or the ability to speak another language. You'll be taught the skills you need and, if necessary, interpreters will be provided. If you are traveling outside the United States, you'll need a passport; some trips also may require a visa.